The bends of the Blockhaus are razor-sharp on the muscles. The breath becomes short after the first few kilometres. Then when the lush and green landscape gives space to the lunar landscape, the heart meets the mountain. Emotion devours the pace. Fatigue overwhelms clarity.
Our Marathon is not a simple race, a tougher background than usual. The Blockhaus Marathon is an adult game with a filling heart.
Departure from the Hotel Meeting in Sulmona, towards Popoli, touch Da Casauria, this stretch will be a transfer, once you reach the town of Tocco Da Casauria, there will be the competitive Route.
The first itinerary starts from Scafa (106m the railway station, 99m the bridge over the Pescara river); from the town center proceed briefly towards Pescara and Chieti up to an intersection (110m) where you take the provincial road 65 following the signs for Manoppello and Passo Lanciano. Proceed on a slight slope along the valley of the Lavino stream up to Pianapuccia (120m) and cross the stream on a bridge (133m) after which you begin to rise moderately and reach an intersection (277m) in the lower part of Lettomanoppello where you leave the road to Manoppello on the left.
In short you arrive in the historical centre of Lettomanoppello (352m); after the town you go up with steep slopes passing by the Sanctuary of the Iconicella (468m), face a hairpin bend (507m) and the next close hairpin bend and after the crossing (563m) with a small road to the left two other close hairpin bends (571m and 580m). Continue along the coast with a long steep and panoramic stretch always exposed to the sun; after Fonte Pirella you pass a hairpin bend (796m) and proceed with a very long traverse that enters the wood and leads to the two close bends (1074m and 1091m) in Sant'Angelo.
Stepping up in the woods you reach Passo Lanciano (1306m) where you meet the road that climbs up from Pretoro (itinerary B); the pass is a well-equipped and popular tourist resort where hotels, restaurants and even a providential fountain meet. Follow the road that climbs steeply into the woods and faces 3 hairpin bends (1466m, 1483m, 1498m) close together among the meadows; passing between scattered houses you reach a fourth bend (1571m) in correspondence with which you ignore an asphalted branch.
The road widens forming a large car park (1613m) at the end of which stands the Mamma Rosa hotel (1637m); immediately afterwards you will find the road coming from Roccamorice on the right (itinerary C); continue among wide meadows which in winter become ski fields; the road is always asphalted but the irregularities of the ground require the utmost caution when descending. Two wide hairpin bends (1751m and 1782m) between the meadows are faced with always very hard slopes and after a right-handed hairpin bend (1834m) you face the two close hairpin bends (1855m and 1868m) that lead to the Bruno Pomilio refuge (1885m) numerous repeaters arise; the road open to motorized traffic ends (1894m) immediately after the refuge.
By bike, take the narrow road that continues steeply bypassing (1921m) the hump on which numerous other antennas rise and skims the top of the Maielletta (1995m); proceed with a very hard stretch on the coast until it goes around a peak with other antennas to arrive at a spectacular stretch on the ridge with a view of the top of the Maiella which leads to a roundabout on a pass (2068m) where the asphalted road ends; with 100 flat meters from the cemented bottom you arrive at the chapel of the Madonnina del Blockhaus (2068m); the panorama is splendid even if there is often the risk of low clouds forming.
Itinerary B) Pretoro / Passo Lanciano
The second itinerary starts from Pretoro (560m), in the valley of the river Foro; follow the provincial road 539 up to a roundabout (587m) where you take the provincial road 220 on the left which climbs with three hairpin bends (608m, 637m, 651m) before a long traverse that passes by Casa Di Pietro (725m), Casa Simone (744m) and other scattered buildings. After the next hairpin bend (833m) you pass by Colle Sant'Andrea and face two more hairpin bends; overtake another three hairpin bends in the woods (965m, 978m and 1000m) and leave the narrow asphalted road on the right (1016m) which soon leads to the church of the Madonna della Mazza (1020m).
Continue to climb into the woods facing another 4 hairpin bends (1037m, 1073m, 1111m and 1200m) with decidedly steep sections you arrive at Passo Lanciano, where you reconnect with the first itinerary.
Itinerary C) Scafa / San Valentino
The third itinerary from the center of Scafa reaches an intersection (121m) on the state road 5, Rome-Pescara, in the southern part of the town, where you take the regional road 487 which climbs with moderate slopes and two wide hairpin bends (251m and 269m); after another hairpin bend (351m) and the following hairpin bend you arrive at a roundabout (392m) near the church of the Madonna della Croce and on a steep climb you cross San Valentino in Abruzzo Citiori (429m the square on the regional road, 457m the highest on the hill).
Continue to climb, leaving the road to Caramanico Terme on the right at an intersection (520m) and shortly afterwards at the next intersection (529m) on the left the path to Abbateggio; climb moderately to overcome the ridge at Colle di Votta (557m) and descend to cross the bridge over the Fosso Capo La Vena (495m). On a narrow road at the foot of a rocky wall, go up to Roccamorice (520m) and continue with a very hard climb along the narrow, solitary provincial road 32 first in the woods and then among the meadows; at an intersection (831m) one leaves on the right a branch for the remains of the medieval Abbey of Santo Spirito in Maiella (1130m).
After a couple of hairpin bends you face two more hairpin bends (1043m and 1067m) and you pass to the base of the top called Colle della Civita (1185m); you overcome another bend (1204m) and go around a ridge to face a series of 5 steep bends (1317m, 1369m, 1383m, 1422m and 1464m); continue steeply up through the meadows until you see the buildings and ski lifts; you cross the hill to Colle Tettone (1648m) and immediately after you come out on the road coming from Passo Lanciano, turn right and face the last kilometres up to Blockhaus..
Info To Follow Shortly
1) Date May 9, 2021: Amateurs aged between 19 and 70, both men and women, are admitted to participate in the "BLOCKHAUS-MARATHON" courses. Amateurs over 65 years old are admitted only and exclusively to participate in the Medium-distance course.
2) Meeting - Race pack collection: the meeting for the starting operations and the distribution of the race packs will take place at HOTEL MEETING SULMONA
3) Grids opening: Sunday 9 MAY at 7.00
4) Departure: Sunday 9 MAY at 8.00 FUND and MEDIUM FUND.
5) Routes: GRAN FONDO 137 km 4117 meters in altitude - MEDIUM BOTTOM 84 km 2177 meters in altitude
6) Participation: all cycle amateurs of both sexes registered with FCI and Sports Promotion bodies recognized by the council in possession of sports medical fitness for the practice of competitive cycling and foreign cyclists in good standing with the membership with their federation of belonging can participate. for the current year 2021
7) Starting grids: the first grid is reserved for the 2019 Italian long-distance and middle-distance champions, 2019 regional champions, for the first three of each category of the 2019 Italian long-distance and medium-distance championships, guests by invitation.
The second grid is reserved for circuit subscribers.
8) Timing and control points: the timing service will be provided by the organization, therefore each participant must be equipped with a special chip supplied with the bib.
9) Pasta Party: the pasta party will be set up at HOTEL MEETING DI SULMONA, starting at 1.00 pm and ending at 4.00 pm.
10) Awards and Prizes: the awards will take place near the pasta party and will start from 2.30 pm.
- Individual awards. The first 5 classified in each category will be awarded for both courses: Woman 1 - Woman 2 - Junior - Senior 1 - Senior 2 - Veterans 1 - Veterans 2 - Gentleman 1 - Gentleman 2. For the medium fund only: Super gentleman A - Super gentleman B - Prizes by drawing. - Collective awards.
11) The 10 teams with the highest number of members will be awarded. The prizes are not cumulative and will be delivered directly to the winners ??
Info To Follow shortly
Check out this great video